Yorùbá medicine is a distinct system of primary health care that emphasizes prevention and healing through the use of divination, herbs, natural therapies and talismans.
The Certificate in Yorùbá medicine equips you with a multifaceted, naturalistic, spiritual and personal understanding of plants, well-being, wellness and wholeness; thereby empowering you to bridge the gap between traditional herbalism and modern science.
Ifá University’s Certificate in Yorùbá Medicine trains professionals who can respond to the growing demand for alternative medicine experts. This is not a clinical degree program and does not qualify graduates to treat patients medically. By studying with master herbalists, you undertake a thorough and rigorous education.
Length and Locations
- Four Years
- Online and on-location in Nigeria
- 3 residential weeks per year in Nigeria (4 trips in all)
- Residential period in Nigeria July 1-21 every year
- Total of 32 classes (128 credit hours) over 4 years
- You can enroll at any time.
- Choose between the Oníṣègùn (Sixteen Cowries Divination) track OR the Babaláwo/Ìyánífá (Ifá Divination) track.
- Highly qualified Oníṣègùn and Babaláwo/Ìyánífá instructors
- Small class sizes and a strong advising program
- Training includes Yorùbá culinary nutrition training
- Learn herbs from the University’s Medicinal Herb Garden and its numerous species of herbs and seasonal crops.
- Yorùbá Spiritual Medicine: Choose Sixteen Cowries Divination OR Ifá Divination
- Yorùbá Herbal Medicine: Master over 200 different herbal remedies, how to prepare them and how to administer them
- Yorùbá Naturopathic Medicine: Primary health care that emphasizes prevention and the self-healing process through the use of healthy living and natural therapies
- Yorùbá Plant Science: A multifaceted, spiritual and personal understanding of plants, empowering you to bridge the gap between traditional herbalism and modern science.
- Talismans and Charms: Master how to prepare and make Yorùbá amulets, charms and talismans.
- Mental Health: Master the Yorùbá approach to mental wellness (including emotional, psychological, and social well-being) as a piece of overall wellness.
Cost of Program
- Total cost: $25,667 plus tax
- 40 payments of $641.99/ month
- 4 round-trip tickets from New York OR Dulles to Lagos
- Full accommodation in Nigeria
- All local transportation
- Subsistence costs for all residential weeks
- Access to all classes, events and meetings
- Training provided by the Ọ̀yọ́ Association of Herbalist